Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Oedipus Rex

I think Euripedes had an ironic mind when creating the story of Oedipus Rex. Oedipus's thrive to find the King's (his father's) killer was set to be in vain when the killer turns out to be him. His scapegoat search to find the killer that might kill him turns out to be the same person that is searching for him. In the story Oedipus discovers that even though he tried to escape his destiny he ended up running right into it. If his parents had just kept him with them the fate would have never come to pass. Oedipus would not believe the truth that he fell into his fate (along with incest) It relates to the people today because nobody wants to know the truth if it affects them in some bad way. I wouldn't want to know the truth either if it affected me in a bad way. IN Oedipus's case it was really gross and sinful because he killed his dad and had incest. I know the truth about myself but if i did not i would ask the authority figures around me and follow the trail.

No comments: